Six more houses demolished in Lenasia
The Gauteng Housing Department has brought down six more houses built on illegally sold land.
LENASIA - At least six more houses were demolished by the Gauteng Housing Department in Lenasia, south of Johannesburg, on Monday.
The demolishers were accompanied by a large contingent of police.
Residents said they were outraged by the flattening of their homes.
One local said his wife was woken up by the sounds of bulldozers.
“My wife was inside the house and they were dragged out. Where are we going to stay after this?”
A group of residents occupied a house belonging to a local leader in a desperate bid to prevent it from being reduced to rubble.
Another group of locals followed the caterpillars and police to act as human shields against the structures that were about to be demolished.
Earlier, government destroyed some 51 structures in the area.
A total of 113 houses have been identified for demolition after they were built illegally on government-owned land.
Last week, demolitions were halted when the South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) was granted a court interdict.
On Sunday, Lenasia residents said the department was wasting money by knocking down structures, when they were actually “relieving” government of its low-cost housing backlog.
(Edited by Zethu Zulu)