CAPE TOWN - Alexander Forbes on Monday said it had already received claims totaling R30 million from St Francis Bay residents affected by a massive fire.
Some 76 buildings were destroyed on Sunday evening in what was described as the most devastating fire to hit the region.
Two firefighters sustained minor injuries and were released from hospital on Monday.
Alexander Forbes spokesperson Colin Mchunu said claims were streaming in.
“The claims have been streaming in from this morning. We currently estimate about R30 million [in damages] just from total losses of some household content.”
The impact of the devastation started to become apparent on Monday.
One housekeeper told Eyewitness News that she had lost her only source of income because of the fire.
A heartbroken Denise Stuurman said she and her children were devastated when they found out that their home of eight years burnt to the ground.
The mother of two said she was still in shock after receiving a call from her bosses that the house was on fire.
Stuurman the incident could not have come at a worst time, with Christmas just around the corner.
She said work was scarce in her town.
(Edited by Zethu Zulu)