JOHANNESBURG – Eskom on Wednesday said it was still revising its tariff increases before it makes any announcements.
According to the South African Chamber of Commerce and Industry (Sacci), the original proposition was for an increase of up to 19 percent per annum.
Earlier in 2012, the power utility proposed a new five-year plan of tariff increases following the previous three-year plan which saw major hikes.
Eskom said the National Energy Regulator of South Africa (Nersa) prevented it from submitting its original proposal last week Friday.
This was because Eskom had not provided enough information to justify the increase.
Now the power giant will have to revise its numbers on its multi-year price determination project.
It said it would not bid below a double-digit increase.
Eskom said determining the tariffs for the next five years will help it stabilise future increases and to help the company escape from its massive debt.
South Africans will only know next year how much they will be paying for electricity after Eskom and Sacci approach Nersa.
(Edited by Zethu Zulu)