Lonmin death toll rises to 10

Striking Lonmin workers walk past a dead body in Marikana mine on 14 August, 2012. The area has been gripped by violence which has resulted in at least 10 deaths. Picture: @ewnreporter on Twitter.
Hundreds of stick-wielding Lonmin mineworkers gathered on the outskirts of Wonderkop village on Tuesday. Picture: Taurai Maduna/EWN.
A man is wielding a panga around Marikana where violence at the Lonmin mines on 14 August, 2012. Around 3000 drill operators down tools during a illegal strike. Picture: Taurai Maduna/Eyewitness News.
|

JOHANNESBURG – Violent clashes at Lonmin's Marikana mine has claimed another life bringing the death toll to 10.

Another body was found in a township where protesters gathered throughout the day. 

Journalists discovered the body when protesters were dispersing from a hilltop.

The man appeared to have been beaten and blood could be seen dripping down the side of his face.

People walked past the body without any hesitation.

It is still not clear if the latest victim is a Lonmin employee.

Violence in the area has now claimed the lives of 10 people, including two police officers and several security guards.

Meanwhile, Lonmin CEO Bernard Mokwena said he would issue an ultimatum on Wednesday, but would not be drawn in on what it would entail. 

The trouble started last week when 3,000 rock drill operators embarked on an illegal strike.  

The conflict was blamed on rivalry between the National Union of Mineworkers (Num) and the Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union (AMCU).

Mokwena said none of the unions have claimed responsibility for the violence.

There is an uneasy calm, with hundreds of police officers patrolling the area.

(Edited by Zethu Zulu)