JOHANNESBURG - The Gauteng Department of Education is due to receive a report early this week on how far the province's schools are in buying textbooks for 2013.
Eyewitness News on Friday revealed that the department launched a blitz last week to audit a sample of around 2, 000 schools.
It claims the blitz had nothing to do with the Limpopo textbook crisis - and denied it was aimed at identifying schools which were still without books for this academic year.
Some Limpopo schools are still without textbooks after the Department of Basic Education failed to deliver all learning material by 27 June.
The Gauteng Education Department on Sunday said it audited a sample of the schools in the province - and that it expected a report by Tuesday morning.
It said it was doing this to ensure schools were on track in ordering books for next year.
Eyewitness News has since received reports of some schools across the province still battling with shortages of learning material seven months into the school year.
Parents described that pupils were being forced to share books or study for exams without them.
The department said if it came across problems of book shortages, it would deal with them.
Gauteng MEC for Education Barbara Creecy is expected to discuss the blitz after she receives the report.
(Edited by Thato Motaung)