JOHANNESBURG - The Defence Department on Friday declined to comment on reports that it is finalising to purchase a jet worth R2 billion for President Jacob Zuma.
Earlier on Friday, The Star reported the purchase was nearly complete, with a defence delegation in America wrapping up negotiations with Boeing.
Questions were asked about whether a tender process was followed, and whether cabinet agreed to the deal.
The Democratic Alliance’s David Maynier said he believed the deal is going ahead despite the defence department's silence.
“We have to find out why there was reportedly no competitive tender process for the acquisition of the new business jet.”
Maynier said they will request Public Protector advocate Thuli Madonsela to investigate the matter.
(Edited by Zethu Zulu)