Email a Friend
Motshekga under siege
Equal Education says it will no longer grant Angie Motshekga extra time to respond to its submissions.
The group said it has now lost its patience and does not believe the minister wants people to have decent infrastructure at schools.
CAPE TOWN - Equal Education on Thursday said it would no longer grant Basic Education Minister extra time to respond to its submissions.
The lobby group took Angie Motshekga to court earlier in 2012 requesting that basic norms and standards at schools be applied throughout the country.
The group picketed in front of Parliament earlier, calling for the minister to respond to its application.
They said they have given Motshekga enough time to respond to its application.
Group leader Joey Hasson said they filed papers in March and were meant to get a reply by May.
Hasson said Motshekga was then given two further extensions but failed to meet those deadlines again.
Pupils have been forced to study without textbooks for close to six months.
Wednesday was the deadline set by the court for the textbook delivery. It is not yet clear whether the deadline was met.
(Edited by Lindiwe Mlandu)
The group said it has now lost its patience and does not believe the minister wants people to have decent infrastructure at schools.Meanwhile, Motshekga is currently embroiled in the Limpopo textbook saga after her department failed to deliver textbooks.
Maties SRC to pile on pressure for language policy change
ANC's bid to oust Zille fails
Donations pour in as Masiphumelele residents rebuild their lives
Samwu vows to intensify Pikitup strike
Drama unfolds at Press Ombudsman's Sunday Times hearing
Case against FS mutilator’s wife’s alleged murderer postponed