CAPE TOWN - The Democratic Alliance (DA) is Considering pursuing a criminal investigation into former Police Commissioner Bheki Cele.
The DA is seeking a commitment from Police Minister Nathi Mthethwa that Cele will be charged or it will take up the matter.
The party believes evidence gathered and investigations conducted by both the Moloi Police Board of Inquiry and the Public Protector is sufficient for instituting criminal charges against Cele.
The DA's Diane Kohler-Barnard said Cele was not above the law.
“Cele must have his day in court to answer for the numerous findings against him by the board of inquiry and the public protector. Reports today which indicate that he is unlikely to face criminal charges are unacceptable.”
Cele was axed by President Jacob Zuma after findings of Public Protector Thuli Madonsela and the board of inquiry set up in 2011 to investigate Cele’s conduct during the procurement process of two police buildings uncovered his weakness.
Madonsela found the lease deals for the buildings in Pretoria and Durban were unlawful, while the board of inquiry found the former general guilty of maladministration and recommended that he be dismissed.
During hearings, it emerged the Cele didn’t read through all contracts he signed off.
He said he trusted his subordinates to do so.
Zuma said while Cele was a good policeman, he was a poor manager.
In response to his dismissal, Cele held a press conference at the National Press Club in Pretoria a day after he was axed.
He said while his relationship with President Jacob Zuma remained intact, he was set to take on those who “plotted his downfall”.
His dismissal had been recommended by Judge Jake Moloi, who had headed the board of inquiry into Cele’s conduct.
Cele said he intended turning to the court to challenge Moloi’s findings.
“I will be filing in the Pretoria High Court before the end of this week and lay bare the monumental errors of fact, logic and law that litter this report.”
He said Moloi treated him unfairly during the public hearings.
“I feel he was very hostile towards me and I felt humiliated and abused."
He accused Moloi of undermining due process, by meeting with officials and prosecutors in the offices of ministers.
He confirmed, though, that there were no bitter feelings between him and Zuma.
“My relationship with the president for me was very fine.”
The board of inquiry's Bongiwe Gambu told Eyewitness News that Moloi noted Cele's comments, but would not discuss the matter further.
The Presidency's Mac Maharaj declined to comment on Cele's remarks, but said the president would respond to court papers if required to do so.
Cele said Moloi was corrupt and was instrumental in his downfall.
The former top cop thanked his subordinates for their support and defended his “shoot to kill” stance of several years ago.
Cele also managed to criticise the media in general, accusing The Sunday Times in particular for advancing the agenda of people out to get him.
Zuma appointed businesswoman, Mangwashi "Riah" Phiyega, to replace Cele.
Phiyega has a Masters Degree in Social Sciences, and previously served as Absa chairperson and worked for the Road Traffic Management Corporation (RTMC) task team.