JOHANNESBURG - The announcement of a mysterious witness has prompted the postponement of a bail application in the Betty Ketani murder case.
Three of the six suspects appeared in the Johannesburg Magistrate's Court on Wednesday.
The men were arrested in May after a confession letter, allegedly written by one of the accused, was discovered beneath a carpet in a Kenilworth home, south of Johannesburg.
The six men are accused of murdering Ketani 13 years ago.
Wednesday’s proceedings were derailed by an affidavit submitted by lead council Herman Broodryk.
He claims to have received new information late on Tuesday.
The evidence is expected to dramatically change the outcome of the bail application.
Broodryk said the information emerged following media coverage of the case.
This led officials to exhibits that directly implicate the suspects.
He said the new witness had not yet been available for a consultation.
Two of the accused were already released on bail, while the third accused abandoned his application.
In May, a man who was abducted and tortured by the gang told Eyewitness News that he feared for his life.
He said he had been abducted on two separate occasions.
His head was covered and he was driven to an unknown location that was “outside of town”.
The man’s wife had worked with Ketani at the Rosebank restaurant, owned by the father of one of the suspects.
“They took me to a small house and began torturing me and wanted to know the whereabouts of Betty.”
The suspects told him to pray one last time.
“They said if I did not tell them the truth, I was going to die.”
He is expected to take the stand later in the trial.
(Edited by Clare Matthes)