JOHANNESBURG - The Johannesburg Magistrate's Court granted bail to two men linked to the 13-year-old murder of Betty Ketani on Monday.
Six men were arrested, after a confession letter was discovered hidden beneath a carpet at a home in Kenilworth, south of Johannesburg.
The state now believes the two accused played a minor role in the crimes and were not involved in the actual murder.
Prosecutors did not oppose bail which was set at R20 000.
The pair will be forced to report to a police station three times a week and may only travel with permission.
Another accused, Conway Brown, abandoned his application without giving reasons.
The confession letters were found at the house Brown rented which was also the place where Ketani was buried.
The remaining three accused are proceeding with their applications.
The bundle of letters were found in May and detailed the murder of Ketani, various violent abductions, while also stating the names of those allegedly involved in the crimes.
Two of the five suspects were policemen at the time of the crime.
The owner of the home made the discovery while having new carpets laid to accommodate his new tenant.
He told Eyewitness News at the time he felt like he was starring in a movie, saying, “It said to the person he left this letter to ‘by the time you read this I will probably be dead’.”
The homeowner passed the information onto the police, who spent weeks piecing together the puzzle, tracing cold cases and finally pouncing on their suspects.
The gang is alleged to have killed Ketani and buried her behind the house where the letter was found.
Later the gang was forced to break up the concrete grave to dump the Ketani’s body elsewhere.
It also appears that they had tried to kill her previously but failed, forcing them to falsify medical documents and hire a special van to kidnap her from hospital and finish the job.
The letter was handed to authorities two months ago.
(Edited by Clare Matthes)