Email a Friend
SAPS mum on Lazarus suspension
The South African Police Service on Friday refused to comment on the suspension of Solly Lazarus.
JOHANNESBURG – The South African Police Service (SAPS) on Friday refused to comment on the suspension of the financial head of the crime intelligence unit, Solly Lazarus.
Lazarus was officially suspended on Tuesday after receiving a notice along with ex crime intelligence boss Richard Mdluli in May.
Both men have been implicated in fraud and corruption relating to the unit's secret slush fund.
The SAPS says it has taken a decision not to comment on internal disciplinary measures.
This latest development involving Lazarus, comes in a week in which Mdluli was interdicted from acting as a policeman, and acting police commissioner Nhlanhla Mkhwanazi fought off allegations of mismanagement.
The Star newspaper reported that the SAPS had wasted R35 million on luxury vehicles.
According to the paper, this was allegedly done to ensure that budgeted funds from secret services were spent.
Following the report, Mkhwanazi called an urgent press conference to address the allegations.
He said there was a group of individuals attempting to discredit him.
Mkhwanazi warned the public to expect more negative reports about the management of the police service.
Meanwhile, Divisional Commissioner for Career Management Manoko Nchwe resigned last week after she was served with the notice of suspension.
At the same time, President Jacob Zuma is yet to speak publicly on whether or not he has in fact taken a decision to fire Bheki Cele, and if so, who he has decided will fill that position.
In 2011, the public protector found Cele guilty of improper conduct and maladministration when the police authorised a R500 million lease for the new SAPS headquarters in Pretoria.
Zuma established an inquiry in November to investigate Cele’s fitness to hold office.
The inquiry found that Cele had been dishonest, negligent and guilty of a conflict of interest.
(Edited by Lindiwe Mlandu)