CAPE TOWN - The SA Maritime Safety Authority (Samsa) on Thursday said 90 tons of oil have already been removed from the Japanese trawler stranded on the sandbanks of Clifton first beach.
Salvage teams spent the last 24 hours pumping fuel off the Eihatsu Maru, which ran aground last Saturday.
Previous attempts to pull the tuna trawler out to sea have been unsuccessful so far.
Samsa's Dave Colly said, “There was a little bit more oil on board than we thought.
Colly said there will be no attempts to remove the vessel on Thursday.
“We will be rebuilding a very strong point onto the vessel. Our next pull will be during spring tide on Friday or Saturday. This will be a massive pull so we have to rebuild the back of the vessels to take it.”
Meanwhile, the Japanese vessel is not the first of its kind to become stranded on the beaches of Cape Town.
In 2009, the Seli 1 ran aground at Bloubergstrand.
The Russian owner did not have the means to rescue the vessel and Samsa was forced to take over.
The ship was left at sea for over a year and was severely damaged by winter storms.
The vessel eventually broke up, resulting in a spill that affected a 1 km stretch of Milnerton Beach.
(Edited by Lisa Bartlett)