JOHANNESBURG – The co-accused in musician Molemo ‘Jub Jub’ Maarohanye's trial is expected back in the dock on Friday, when the pair's murder trial will resume.
Maarohanye and Themba Tshabalala are facing charges of murder and attempted murder, after they crashed their Mini Coopers on a busy Soweto street in March 2010.
The accident killed four school learners and critically injured two others.
On Monday, Magistrate Brian Nemavhidi, adjourned proceedings because of the taxi strike.
Tshabalala was cross-examined by his and Maarohanye’s lawyer, after testifying in his own defence.
He was asked to recount the events that led to the fatal crash.
Tshabalala said Maarohanye’s version of what happened on the day was incorrect.
Tshabalala testified that he, Molemo and two others were headed to a BP garage in Protea North before the accident.
“I told them I’d lead the way so I overtook. I was driving at 60km/h.”
He said he overtook Marohannye’s car, but that he only lost control of his car when the musician's car hit the back of his.
When Tshabalala lost control of his car, it started to spin and then overturned.
Tshabalala told the court he was not drunk or tipsy on the day, and said he only drank a glass of whisky with tonic water.
He said he did not see his blue car plough into the schoolchildren, but added that he could deny, without doubt, that he did not crash into the schoolchildren.
Last week, Maarohanye’s case was also provisionally closed for expert testimony.
Maarohanye's lawyer Ike Motloung might still want to call an information technology expert to testify on the authenticity of mobile video footage used in the state's case earlier in the trial.
Previously, Maarohanye and Tshabalala’s passenger on the day, Mpumelelo Vezi, testified that Tshabalala’s blue Mini Cooper had hit the right rear end of Maarhoanye’s grey Mini Cooper.
(Edited by Thato Motaung)