Email a Friend
Dewani case postponed again
The case against two men implicated in Anni Dewani’s murder was postponed yet again.
CAPE TOWN - The case against two men accused of playing a role in Anni Dewani’s murder was postponed yet again on Friday.
Xolile Mngeni and Mziwamadoda Qwabe appeared in the Western Cape High Court for another pre-trail conference.
The prosecution team was surprised when Judge André le Grange postponed the matter to next Friday.
Qwabe’s lawyer told the court he needed time to consult with his client, as his previous defence counsel had to withdraw for financial reasons.
Mngeni’s legal representative was not in court because he was stuck in traffic, the state explained.
The judge enquired as to whether the third accused, Shrien Dewani, would in fact be part of the trial.
It was explained to him he would only come back to South Africa once he is declared mentally fit.
It was reiterated the matter would go to trial on 30 July.
Anni was shot dead during a hijacking in Cape Town in 2010.
Following the murder, Dewani was accused of masterminding the murder.
South African authorities have been fighting to get him extradited to face the charges against him.
However earlier in 2012, a London court halted the extradition on mental health grounds.
(Edited by Lindiwe Mlandu)
‘The Dance Force’ is with Obamas on Star Wars day
Big data breaches found at major email services, says expert
Selfie gone wrong fells 126-year-old statue of Portuguese king
California raises age to purchase tobacco to 21
Facebook pays $10,000 to 10-year-old Instagram hacker
US, allies agree to do more to combat Islamic State