Email a Friend
SABC aiming too high - critic
TV critic Thinus Ferreira says the SABC could fail in its plan of launching 18 new television channels.
CAPE TOWN - Television critic Thinus Ferreira on Friday said it was unlikely that the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) would be able to follow through on its audacious plan of launching 18 new television channels.
Earlier this week, SABC CEO Lulama Mokhobo announced the plan.
The SABC has been working on an expansion plan as part of government's digital migration project.
A total of R1 billion was set aside for local content in 2013.
Ferreira said the plan to launch a 24 hour news and sports channel could be too much for the broadcaster.
“Sport as well as news is some of the costly types of programming, because it deals with current events and broadcasting rights. I think it may be a bit of a stress [for the SABC]."
The 24 hour sport channel is expected to launch in October.
Mokhobo told Parliament that the national broadcaster was doing well.
(Edited by Lindiwe Mlandu)
‘Current mechanisms continue to fail rape culture victims’
CT man selling drugs to pupils arrested in an undercover operation
Masutha awaits outcome of audit into R378 mln prison tender
ACDP calls on South Africans to remove corrupt leaders
Zuma: Compensation of land to restore dignity of those evicted
‘Process of appointing teachers riddled with inconsistencies’